Saturday, November 17, 2007

A Reminder of Why I Want To Make Aliya

Last weekend I went to the local mall with a good friend. It's that time of year again and non-stop Christmas music was playing. I understand that most Americans are at least nominally Christian and I certainly don't begrudge them their music or their holiday. It's all fine -- just not for me.

I'm Jewish. I was raised Jewish and raised a Zionist. I would like to live in a place where Jewish holidays are the dominant paradigm, where "holiday season" refers to Jewish holidays, where my religion and culture are taken for granted, not the odd exception. There is only one place on the earth where that is the case: Israel.

I know that if I had young children and I wouldn't want them to face pressures to fit into what is essentially a Christian society the pull of aliya would be stronger still. Regardless, 2008 will, barring unforeseen circumstances, should be the year for me.

Technorati Tags:

2 comments:

Diyah said...

congrats on your decision to make aliya!

Jersusalem Photography said...

Hi! I think you mean that in the year 5768 you'll be making aliyah;) I just ran across your blog. Mazal tov on the Aliyah decision, its the best you will ever make!